Members attend up to 8 social-learning events per membership year. Each event is designed for members to learn how to build and improve their private collections, while also building important relationships within the art community and having an enjoyable social evening.
- We visit the bank to learn about investing in art, including adding art to your regular investment portfolio, financing art purchases, tax rebates and more. Then we enjoy a tour of the bank's art collection followed by a wine and cheese reception and the opportunity to ask the bankers personal questions about our own collections.
- We bring in the experts to give a crash course in contemporary art history, highlighting the artists, the galleries and the collectors you should know. In addition, we show you how to be the critic and interpret art for yourself. The rest of the evening we mingle with the experts and artists in the gallery while sipping cocktails.
- This evening we curate your condo. We explain some basic curatorial principles, and then we give a live demonstration placing artworks in a section of a private home. After we curate, we converse and we consume some homemade delectable treats and warm baileys and cream.
- At a local auction house, we do a workshop on secondary art market buying and selling. Following this we have dinner with the auctioneer and the opportunity to ask personal questions about our own collections, things we want to de-accession or purchase on the secondary market.
- We will take a gallery walk to familiarize you with the local galleries scene and to meet some of the artists represented by those galleries. Afterwards we will dine together at a local hotspot in the gallery district.
- We talk with artists interested in doing commission work and the process to commissioning an artwork. Then we go to see a work commissioned by private collectors, and we share port, cheese and conversation with each other.
- In the creativity workshop, emerging collectors and artists each group up to solve real development issues in our collecting and the art market. We will find methods to improve your collections, and the artists will show you how to think outside the box when solving problems in general. During the workshop we will have a break with refreshments.
- We will take you on a guided visit to an art fair. This excursion will teach you the differences between buying from the gallery regularly versus at the fair. We'll learn which galleries are most reputable and the current price and style trends. Perhaps some of us will purchase a piece at the fair together! (If the fair is abroad, then transport and accommodation will be extra.)
- This event will teach you about preserving your art. We'll visit some conversation experts who will tell you the simple things you can do to protect your art, including framing, lighting and insurance. We'll take a look behind the scenes at their conservation efforts. Afterwards, we'll lunch together and have the opportunity to ask the conservator our personal collection questions.
- Let's go to Mercer Union to learn about the benefits of being an arts philanthropist. We'll look at a privately donated collection and then learn from our panel of experts what benefits this gave to the philanthropist, including tax breaks, improved community reputation, helping the artist and leaving a legacy. This event will be followed by a swanky reception.
- Let's enjoy a summer barbeque at a collector's home. We'll look at outdoor art collecting, and watch a special arts performance, while we enjoy grilled chicken, vegetables and beer.